30 July 2008

Mr. Doc said I need to take more vitamins and include more red meat in my diet because I don't have enough iron! And he said I looked pale. Goo goo gaga. That explains my extreme fatigue and weakness during my time of the month, every time. He also said, " We are not robots . . . everyone is different, some people get cramps . .. ". That encouraged me. :) I wished I was some superhuman, some robot, that never falls sick, never be tired, but I'm just not. I'm human. So this human being needs to include more beef and pork in her diet even though she doesn't particularly fancy them. =X

Bring me the steak! GAH!

14 Feb 2005 is likely to be the first and the last time I donate blood. You'll know why when u read what I blogged about the experience in my previous blog (I wrote this when I was 17 years old yeah? =) ) :


The nurse took my blood pressure again and told me to squeeze the ball on my right hand real tight so that my vein will "xian shen". But I couldn't (maybe I was too scared). I then exclaimed that my prick was painful.

"Aiyoh. People go for operation more painful than this," the nurse attempted to comfort me (no use). ORH.The nurse then handed me the Post Donation Instructions For Blood Donors and iron tablets(to be taken once daily for the next 2 weeks). She went to attend to other matters and left me to relax and prepare myself for the real, the real painful deal. Approximately 5 mins later (meanwhile I prayed), she came back and removed the measuring blood pressure armband which was really tight on my arms. She demonstrated how hard to squeeze the ball. She said I have to cooperate so that she can insert the needle easily (my first time mah). She applied iodine on the site. My heart was pounding. The climax was coming. She injected the painkiller. PAIN! Talk about a pain free procedure. The painkiller was more like a "pain giver" to me. "That's only the painkiller". RIGHT. My right arm began to lose sensation and feel numb. One minute later, the time has come for the blood suction to take place. I shut my eyes tight and panicked.

"Don't close your eyes! Breathe!" The nurse loudly instructed. I opened my mouth and pathetically tried to gulp in some air. The needle went into my skin and vein. It was much more bearable then the painkiller. Phew! By this time, Mr Quek had noticed the commotion and came over.

"Mr Quek, talk to me!" I pleaded.

"It's ok, the blood is flowing already. First time, you will be afraid. Subsequent times will be easier."

"Oh ok...Mr Quek, why didn't you donate blood this time?"

"I donated in January at the Red Cross Blood Bank. It was my 74th time." My jaw dropped and my eyes opened wide.

"74 times?? Wow...", I was amazed. My admiration of him just upped a level. I wondered if I will ever donate blood a second time. While my blood was still flowing into the bag, I began to think that donating blood isn't as easy as I thought it to be. Maybe I just haven got the hang of it. Then I thought about Jesus. How much blood did He lose for my sake? A lot. How much pain did He have to go through? Definitely a hundred and ten times more excruciating than mine. God is so good to me.

Another nurse came to collect the bag when it was filled. 300 ml doesn't seem a lot. No no, every single ml of blood counts and matter to the one who is in need of it. The removing of the needle was alright and I was looking forward to the bandaging part. (You'll know why as u read on! ;) ) Then came the drama. The nurse commented that I looked pale and lowered the armchair for me to lie down. I was feeling thirsty and requested for water. I quickly sipped the water and closed my eyes (this time to rest!). A few minutes later I was awakened by someone calling me. It was Clement. He was sitting on an armchair a metre away, waiting to be attended. It was his first time donating blood too.

"You look real dead lah", he exclaimed. I looked at him with an "Are-you-serious??" expression plastered across my face.

"Do I look really pale?" I questioned. He nodded. I reckoned having a real pale, dead-looking person lying beside you just before you are about to donate blood for the first time doesn't help. Oops.

In the next 10 mins that I rested, 3 nurses came to ask me if I was feeling okay at least twice each!

"Are you giddy?", one nurse asked."I think not", came the unconvincing reply. I requested the nurse to help me up my seat. She supported me all the way to the Refreshment Lounge even though I told her I could walk. She's being professional I guess.

There were no more empty chairs. This guy, whom I happened to take notice of last Fri ,very gentlemanly gave up his seat for me. He's rather good-looking. All I know is that he is in Canoeing and he's in the same History lecture at me. I dunno his name or which class he is in! Funny how I seem to recognise people by their CCAs.

"You want Milo? " He asked. I nodded. He then helped me to take out the straw and poke it into the packet (lol).

"Biscuits?" He offered. I paused for 5 seemingly long seconds, pondering whether I should just take it myself, not eat any or accept his offer. I succumbed.

"Can I have the other kind?" I requested. Again he helped me to open the packet and handed it to me. I thanked him sincerely, grateful that this sweet guy has helped a stranger like me to do three wonderfully ''ti tie'' things. He sure did give me a good first impression. For the next one minute we did not converse and it was a tiny bit awkward sitting beside him. He had to go.

"Bye." I tried to sound as friendly as I possibly could.

Afterwards, I saw Kenny walking towards the Lounge area and I offered him the only empty seat beside me.

"No thanks. I'm late for class." He said in a somewhat serious tone. He grabbed a drink and left. I felt kind of convicted. Kenny rushed to go to his lesson and here I am taking my own sweet time to rest when I had a class going on. I sped up to finish my refreshments. I grabbed one last packet of mineral water (my fourth, each 230ml) and went back to class. Only 300ml of blood and I need a replacement of so much water? Water is my element. Period.

Back in class, they were doing a PC assignment titled - The Use Of Force. Mr Pang told me to take a breather instead of work "vigorously". Both Pei Ru and Karnjote mentioned that I look really pale and asked me if I was feeling alright. Geez. I guess I'm not feeling that alright after all. So much for being convicted. I should have stayed longer to rest. Silly me.

I'm glad that I plucked up the courage to go for the donation and find that this day is most memorable. It is an experience more special and rewarding than any movie or date can offer, don't you think (wow I had such a mature thought at 17, hahaha)?


This human being needs to get healthier. I need iron man (pun intended)! =D