27 September 2008

I laid on my bed to sleep but I had so many thoughts about this topic that I got up to blog about it. Have you wondered what are the indirect messages you send to others? Though they may be unintentional, the impact can be huge. Take for example, if an angry parent blows up and shouts at their child, he or she is indirectly telling the child that it is okay to shout at others when one is angry. I think any saint parent would not think that is right but nonetheless their action has already left a lasting negative impact on the child. When the child gets angry, he starts shouting at someone. Why? Because he saw it being done in front of him and learnt the behavior.

You know, most things that we learnt in life are often not taught but caught. I once asked Justin how do people learn best and he told me that people learn best by example. And it's true. Leaders are people who lead by example, they can say an essay long of words and it doesn't get into their people but one action and bam! , the message is sent across. If a leader does something good, he or she is sending 2 messages across. First, this is how you do it and second, this can be done (within reach and possible). How does a follower receive confidence that something they thought difficult can be done? When they see their leader achieve the seemingly impossible right in front of their eyes. However, the reverse is true. When a leader fails to do that something good, the followers receive these messages - it is not important to do it/okay not to do it or that it cannot be done.

I always felt that leadership is a huge responsibility and that it is not for the fainthearted. It means others can and you cannot. Others can compromise, but you cannot. Others can do whatever they like, but you just cannot. You hold yourself to a higher standard and that requires discipline, commitment and sacrifice. A friend once said this to me and it has stuck with me since, '' There are average leaders and there are great leaders. I want to be a great one. ''