09 September 2008

I just came home from the funeral of Nicole, one of Annabelle's friends. I do not know her personally but I was there to lend our support with about 50 other choir members. Though celebrities like Sun Yanzi, Belinda and Utt were present at the service, it was of course not a time for any form of rejoicing about seeing them. Nicole had passed away after her battle with cancer and I guessed she was probably in her early 40s or late 30s, leaving behind a teenage daughter and her mother. Nicole was Sun Yanzi's vocal coach at one time and I guessed she must have been an extraordinary person and great friend because Sun Yanzi was clearly very sad at her departure.

What I took home tonight was really what Pst Ming said that sent tears welling up in my eyes, " At the end of the day, what is most important in life is relationships. So hug those people that you can hug now and spend time with those you can spend time with now... Tell them how much you love them. Tell them you want to have more coffees with them... ". It's no wonder that the bible says, 'Better to spend your time at funerals than at parties, after all, everyone dies - so the living should take this to heart. Sorrow is better than laughter, for sadness has a refining influence on us. A wise person thinks a lot about death, while a fool thinks only about having a good time.' (Ecc 7:2-4 NLT)

Even though I was attending a funeral of someone I do not know personally, I could feel the lost... Needless to say, I would be sorrowful if any of my friends were to pass away... I just pray that before anyone does, I would have the wisdom to treasure them with all my heart while I still can and let them know how much I love and appreciate having them in my life. Though I may be young and relatively healthy now, I know that life is unpredictable and it can be very fragile. I desire to travel around the world and to experience just what the big world out there is like but my mum would say that I can do that when I'm older and earning my own money... but the thing is what if I died tmr? And I wouldn't get to enjoy life in all it's fullness? And I don't get to fulfill my dreams while I'm still alive? How tragic would that be? So please, don't ask me to wait to be anything anymore. Allow me to experience life, experience what it means to be a human being, to see the world, to impact others, to love while I'm still alive and don't stop me, don't even ask me to wait because both you and I will never know how long more I have to wait.