05 August 2008

My tagboard seems kinda quiet. Tag if u're reading this people!



On the MRT train back home on Sun after FOP, Le Woon was sitting on my right and Terence on my left. When I shared with them about my Student Council nomination, both immediately responded that I should go for it without a moment of hesitation! I think it's in their male blood! ;P



I decided to run for the Communications Secretary position as it interests me the most while the other 2 positions seem kinda boring. The responsibilities of Communications Secretaries are to 'oversee the Council's Public Relations activities. They chair the SC's communication outlets (Publication, Bulletin Board and Website) and liaise with the school's Marketing Communications department. They are also in charge of producing and keeping a record of the SC style book. The Communications Secretaries also head the Communications Sub-Committee.'



And well, here is the essay I wrote:



Leadership expert, John C. Maxwell said that “Everything rises and falls on leadership,” and that is what I strongly believe in. How high the MDIS Student Council can rise will depend on its leadership and I am available to answer to that call. With only six more months to my last examination in February (estimated to graduate in April 2009), I would like to offer my service as a Communications Secretary to the Student Council and the MDIS student body at large. As a Mass Communications student and a language tutor, I am confident that l will be able to serve that responsibility well. Moreover, I enjoy interacting with people and have a cheerful disposition - I believe these will serve me well as a Communications Secretary with the Public Relations work involved.




Though leadership may seem glamorous, I understand that it in fact comes with the price tag of hard work and sacrifice. I am willing to pay that price to help and contribute in the ways I can.



Leadership is also about influence and I know that I can affect the Student Council in positive manners. I will do my best to give positive feedback during ExCo meetings and help facilitate the meetings with the UniReps.



Lastly, as a human being, it is inevitable that I will make mistakes but at such times I am willing to change and to learn from them so that I can be a better leader and carry out the duties entrusted to me well.




It's pretty simple and it comes from my heart. I see no point in writing some flamboyant essay to boast of my talents, capabilities or experience! Frankly speaking, I am not a person of many talents but what I do have is a willing heart. A heart that is willing to admit my mistakes and learn from them. A heart that loves to serve and to give! =)



I know what my purpose after SOT is - to excel in my school in every area possible and to make a difference in the lives of the people there in these last 6 months or so and the impact created is to supersede what I did in the last 26 months since I started schooling there in June 2006!



If I do not get elected for the position, I will still gladly serve as a normal UniRep but if I do, I pray that the other Communications Secretary will be someone good and talented that I can work well with! ;)



And of course, dear blog readers, you'll be the first I'll share the results of the election with. ;)