21 September 2007

Kill the Ugly Side

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that I had a great day today. First of all, Agnes, my 'O' Level student chased me out of her house 45 mins into tuition citing, "I got no mood to study". At night, my Pri 1 student, Gabriel, threw a tantrum for no apparent reason, kicked (literally kicked me!), shouted and yelled "I don't want to do!" time and time again. But thankfully, he finally cooled down after 35 mins. Gosh, thank God it was 35 mins and not an hour!

Later, his sweet side appeared and I finally saw smiles on his face. Gabriel is really a cute, handsome and smart boy you know? Despite his bad behaviors and all... He's studying in Pei Hua Pri School, one of the top pri schs in Singapore. He has an absolute love for animals and he knows more about them than I do and he is only 7 years old! He told me about the Mandrill,a species of monkeys, of which the female Mandrills will look for the male that is the brightest in color (it actually signifies strength) to mate. He also plays the piano well and has a thirst for knowledge. Sometimes, he would very sweetly give me a hug before I leave...

Thinking about Gabriel led me to think about how every single person, no matter how many weaknesses, character flaws, bad attitudes one may have, therein lies a beautiful person - a person with every ability to be good, to do good, with strengths and capabilities, to be a blessing to the people around. The ugly side however, is what some people will choose to show. Truth be told, I hate the ugly side of humanity. Sometimes when I witness my ugly side, I go: '' Oh my gosh, just what do you think you're doing!? " The ugly side should really not surface because when it does, damages are usually done to the people around. Instead, we should all let that nice, beautiful person come out. Kill the ugly side I say, bury it, and don't allow it to see the light of day because when it does, it actually destroys another and may in turn lead to them manifesting their ugliness and the cycle continues.

What a happy,beautiful world we'll be living in, if only people would be more considerate of how their words, actions and attitudes will affect the people around.